Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

May 09, 2024, 06:23:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

ARB Articles

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1822
  • Total Topics: 416
  • Online Today: 94
  • Online Ever: 262
  • (April 26, 2024, 05:10:40 am)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 81
Total: 81

Shoutbox

intangybles

2023 Dec 03 18:01:16
Sadly.. GOTHEM has.... For the present!

intangybles

2023 Nov 29 19:04:54
Last chance! Get those GOTHEM's in!

NinjaKat

2023 Nov 01 21:48:53
November GOTHEM now live!  Have fun!  ;D

intangybles

2023 Oct 19 20:43:06
Don't forget the October GOTHEM Games are live! Come and join the fun!  :)

NinjaKat

2023 Sep 01 07:21:02
September games are live!  This month we have 2 NEW games to the Amiga - I am keen to try Xevious 1200 - an accurate conversion from the Arcade, released this year!!  ;D

Author Topic: WinUAE question  (Read 6443 times)

Offline power

• Peter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Full Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 7
    • Awards
WinUAE question
« on: February 18, 2020, 06:19:09 pm »
So I bought a CD32 that has an 8GB CF, machine itself runs a TF330, what's the safest way to mount this in WinUAE so i can add/remove files??

All the guides are focused on setup not a pre-existing image.

Offline Heywood

• Adam Booth
  • Jr. Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 4
    • Awards
Re: WinUAE question
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 07:47:43 pm »
It is pretty straight forward - You may need to launch WinUAE as administrator to do it but you can mount the CF card as a HD pretty easily-  not in front of my machine at the moment but you should be able to clone the card to a hdf so you have a known good backup

[EDIT]Attached is a screenshot of WinUAE and a 4GB CF that used to be in my A600 but the concept is the same (and this is what I did with my CD32/TF330) - I used Add Hard Drive and selected the CF - You can see "Create Hard disk image file" to backup that CF just in case you bodge things but you can just "Add Hard drive"

Mount other directories or whatever and use Dopus to drag things over

I spent a lot of time in WinUAE working on the directory structure etc in a HDF before moving things over to the CF - one reason to consider using a HDF instead of just mounting a directory is that there are some (very few but still some) instances where Amiga Filenames don't fully translate to Windows resulting in some WHDLoad based software from not working.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 12:05:38 am by Heywood »

Offline power

• Peter
  • Full Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2020, 08:34:48 am »
yes i do want to back it up before playing with it. i'm used to VM's with Hyper-V but haven't used WinUAE it looks pretty simple though.

I was kind of hoping to just create a VM and have it boot from the CF. But the backup is important.

Offline Heywood

• Adam Booth
  • Jr. Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2020, 08:45:15 am »
Yeah the Emulator can boot directly from the flash card - so you can test and refine as much as possible on the PC and then when you're happy plug it into the machine proper for that final verification.

Backups are like umbrellas - its when you don't have it is when you need it

Offline quantum8

• Jacob
  • Full Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 12
  • awards The Chaos Engine - Winning Score: 2085 Ruff 'n' Tumble - Winning Score: 71100 Bobble  Puzzle - Winning Score: 4 Exile - Winning Score: 2092 Cannon Fodder: Amiga Format Christmas Special - Winning Review Tiger Claw - Winning Score: 7335 Super Skidmarks - Winning Lap: 1:03.3 Simon the Sorcerer - Winning Review! Smarty and the Nasty Gluttons - Winning Score: 37380 Deluxe Galaga - Winning Score: 674935
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 10:44:28 am »
If you want to back it up i'd recommend to use something like etcher, https://www.balena.io/etcher/ , to do a full image of the card.

That way if anything goes wrong you can just re-image the card back to exactly how you had it.

Offline power

• Peter
  • Full Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 07:41:54 am »
thanks I'll give that a go on the weekend. the image is what i want at this stage. previous owner of the machine did up a pretty decent install. don't wanna break it :)

Offline power

• Peter
  • Full Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2020, 04:35:33 pm »
So much for that, Windows just wants to format the volume.

Offline Heywood

• Adam Booth
  • Jr. Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2020, 05:05:04 pm »
Windows wont know what to do with it - just cancel when it says to format the flash card

WinUAE should be able to read the card - I have a USB CF reader - not sure if its absolutely necessary but I find running WinUAE as admin should allow it to mount/read/write the CF - if it's already formatted you should hopefully see that WinUAE sees it as a RDB device.  If you haven't given up yet, walk us through your steps and maybe we can help you through it.

Offline power

• Peter
  • Full Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2020, 10:49:27 am »
I decided to leave it be for now, might come back to it later.

the previous owner had a half decent setup going I just wanted to back it up.

Offline power

• Peter
  • Full Supporter
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2020, 11:44:31 am »
got the CF up and booting based off what you said.

also used a -disableharddrivesafetycheck on the WinUAE shortcut as well and all is good!

Backed up my CD32 and A1200 installs nicely with WinImage now too.

I'm getting there :D

Also backed up the WHDLoad files just in case, might look into updating some slaves as well as these won't be the latest anymore afaik.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 11:46:18 am by power »

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Captain Scarlet
  • awards BlitzWays - Winning Score: 30022 Alien Breed 3D - Win due to most progression! James Pond 2 (Codename RoboCod) - Winning Score: 102900 Do! Run Run - Winning Score: 17140 Zool: Ninja of the "Nth" Dimension (AGA) - Winning Score: 66970 Fire & Ice - Winning Score: 18300 Dune - Winning Review!
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2020, 07:05:34 pm »
Glad you got the Backup Happening!

I was lucky to be able in my case to just read my "SD" card volumes directly via USB from the ScSi2SD card.
S.I.G
A1200 - 8M & CF HDD, Vampire V4 - SA & Checkmate A1500 Mini (MiSTiX) - OS 3.1.4 (MiSTer Powered)
Amithlon Laptop, NinjaKat Bar-top Games console & NABU PC with Pi server

Recent Topics