Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:51:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

ARB Articles

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1820
  • Total Topics: 415
  • Online Today: 141
  • Online Ever: 152
  • (Yesterday at 08:59:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 104
Total: 104

Shoutbox

intangybles

2023 Dec 03 18:01:16
Sadly.. GOTHEM has.... For the present!

intangybles

2023 Nov 29 19:04:54
Last chance! Get those GOTHEM's in!

NinjaKat

2023 Nov 01 21:48:53
November GOTHEM now live!  Have fun!  ;D

intangybles

2023 Oct 19 20:43:06
Don't forget the October GOTHEM Games are live! Come and join the fun!  :)

NinjaKat

2023 Sep 01 07:21:02
September games are live!  This month we have 2 NEW games to the Amiga - I am keen to try Xevious 1200 - an accurate conversion from the Arcade, released this year!!  ;D

Author Topic: Newbies with an Amiga 4000  (Read 8205 times)

Offline moiecoute

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Retro Credit: 0
    • Awards
Newbies with an Amiga 4000
« on: January 04, 2021, 06:37:56 pm »
Hi,

Thanks for letting me join the forum.

I got my hands on an A4000/040. Not sure if it is working or not. I'm hoping someone from the Sydney Users Group will help to have a quick look and determine that.

I'm new to Amiga and had a couple of hardware questions. I don't have a keyboard nor a monitor. Is someone able to help me with hooking up the Amiga to a modern monitor and as to whether there is an adapter for using a modern keyboard?

.... will be watching a couple of Workbench tutorials this coming weekend to learn about the OS.

Thanks again

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 7
  • Captain Scarlet
  • awards BlitzWays - Winning Score: 30022 Alien Breed 3D - Win due to most progression! James Pond 2 (Codename RoboCod) - Winning Score: 102900 Do! Run Run - Winning Score: 17140 Zool: Ninja of the "Nth" Dimension (AGA) - Winning Score: 66970 Fire & Ice - Winning Score: 18300 Dune - Winning Review!
    • Awards
Re: Newbies with an Amiga 4000
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 10:33:14 am »
Wow... A4000.. thats a great find!

Firstly... Welcome!

We have a couple of NSW members I will see if Admin can drop them a line! Have a quick search of the forum,  seem to remember a mention of someone repairing Amiga's in NSW.

I would suggest a couple of pics on the PCB condition etc, history you know of etc, recapped? may help tease out some responses!

Again, welcome!
S.I.G
A1200 - 8M & CF HDD, Vampire V4 - SA & Checkmate A1500 Mini (MiSTiX) - OS 3.1.4 (MiSTer Powered)
Amithlon Laptop, NinjaKat Bar-top Games console & NABU PC with Pi server

Offline quantum8

• Jacob
  • Full Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 12
  • awards The Chaos Engine - Winning Score: 2085 Ruff 'n' Tumble - Winning Score: 71100 Bobble  Puzzle - Winning Score: 4 Exile - Winning Score: 2092 Cannon Fodder: Amiga Format Christmas Special - Winning Review Tiger Claw - Winning Score: 7335 Super Skidmarks - Winning Lap: 1:03.3 Simon the Sorcerer - Winning Review! Smarty and the Nasty Gluttons - Winning Score: 37380 Deluxe Galaga - Winning Score: 674935
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 10:53:06 am »
The first thing I'd be checking is if the battery has been removed!

If it hasn't then snip it off as soon as you can. Those things leak even more than the capacitors do!

Speaking of the capacitors, it is definitely a must to replace all of the electrolytics on both the motherboard and the CPU card. They cause a Lot of havoc with these machines!

As for the keyboard, yes you can find ps2 to amiga adapters on ebay, lyra is one of them.

For getting a display from the machine you have a few options. The cheapest would be to build a gbs8200 + gbs control (or get one premade from http://microbeetechnology.com.au/) with an amiga rgb cable.
A decent option is also an ossc with Amiga rgb scart cable. Both of these upscalers can be used on other retro computers and consoles so they're good options.

If you want to go all out, get a zz9000. It will give your workbench modern 1080p screen modes through hdmi, and has pass through for all other screen modes, as well as usb, Ethernet and up to 256meg ram.

Welcome to the rabbit hole!!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 10:55:55 am by quantum8 »

Offline Heywood

• Adam Booth
  • Jr. Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 4
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 06:13:58 pm »
Welcome moiecoute - did you come from r/amiga?

Amiga 2000/3000/4000 and CD32 keyboards use the same pinout - the 4000 and CD32 have the smaller PS/2 connector as opposed to the AT DIN style connector but the pins are the same and you should be able to use a "PC" AT to PS/2 converter (around 5 bucks on ebay) if you get a chance to pick up a real Amiga keyboard, however they are not cheap these days, so an adapter for PS/2 keyboard as mentioned by intangybles is probably a low cost approach.

I think Amiga collecting and restoration is a bit like people that like to restore classic cars - parts are hard to find and are not cheap and to be honest newer things are probably better all round but there is a certain "something" to these beasts.

Offline moiecoute

• Retro Credit: 0
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 04:13:00 pm »
Yes Heywood to your Reddit question :)

Thank you everyone on this thread for welcoming me and helping me. I have been doing a lot of reading and watching a number of videos but something like the model numbers for the display, keyboards and capacitors is exactly what I needed.

Offline Amigaman

• Ross Vumbaca
  • Jr. Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 7
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 12:25:15 pm »
Hi moiecoute,

Welcome to the Amiga owner's club. I'm fairly certain that you've made contact with me via SAUG, but just in case you're another person, we can help you locally in Sydney through the Sydney Amiga User Group (SAUG). We meet every month, except for January (holiday season).

Recent Topics