Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:38:39 pm

Login with username, password and session length

ARB Articles

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1820
  • Total Topics: 415
  • Online Today: 152
  • Online Ever: 152
  • (Today at 08:59:48 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 130
Total: 130

Shoutbox

intangybles

2023 Dec 03 18:01:16
Sadly.. GOTHEM has.... For the present!

intangybles

2023 Nov 29 19:04:54
Last chance! Get those GOTHEM's in!

NinjaKat

2023 Nov 01 21:48:53
November GOTHEM now live!  Have fun!  ;D

intangybles

2023 Oct 19 20:43:06
Don't forget the October GOTHEM Games are live! Come and join the fun!  :)

NinjaKat

2023 Sep 01 07:21:02
September games are live!  This month we have 2 NEW games to the Amiga - I am keen to try Xevious 1200 - an accurate conversion from the Arcade, released this year!!  ;D

Author Topic: Raspberry PI 400! My Mini Amiga Project - Base Image  (Read 28999 times)

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hero Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 7
  • Captain Scarlet
  • awards BlitzWays - Winning Score: 30022 Alien Breed 3D - Win due to most progression! James Pond 2 (Codename RoboCod) - Winning Score: 102900 Do! Run Run - Winning Score: 17140 Zool: Ninja of the "Nth" Dimension (AGA) - Winning Score: 66970 Fire & Ice - Winning Score: 18300 Dune - Winning Review!
    • Awards
Raspberry PI 400! My Mini Amiga Project - Base Image
« on: November 27, 2020, 11:26:28 am »
Raspberry PI 400!

What a wonderfull little machine it is! So very impressed with it so far.

This is just a quick overview of what I have had the time to try so far in my adventure to build an everyday use miniature Amiga system to fit on my limited desk space.

Like all of us I find myself very "time" poor these days, so I have not had a chance to delve into the details of why some things do and don't work but I will list the images I have tried and what I have found out (aiming for a full 64bit OS to make the most of the new Hardware).

P.S. I don't have a Pi4 so these build where all new to me - some workarounds espoused on the net where suggesting install to that first and then transfer to the Pi 400.

Raspberry Pi OS (https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/)

The basic system that comes with the Raspberry PI 400 kit. Very good as a base Linux system. I did try out compiling Amiberry on the platform and 3.3 worked well except for the common problem I have found the it will not boot into fullscreen or even full-window (the $64,000 question why is the part I have not had time to do yet) other than note it actually seems to hold Amiberry in a boot loop of some kind.

RetroPie (https://retropie.org.uk)

Goes on well out of the box - if you want to play Amiga Games hands down the best solution. I did install the Pixel Desktop but it did exactly the same thing as Raspberry Pi OS - no full screen boot.

Manjaro (https://manjaro.org/download/)

Hands down the quickest OS feel on the Pi 400 - no real surprise being Arch based. When I was trying it they had not implemented any Pi 400 support and so it took a bit of patching to get Networking etc working correctly. I understand the new release is starting to implement Pi 400 support. Same old story on the fullscreen front! Can't get it to work! Shame I really like they way they have brought Arch to the Desktop world - so to speak!

Ubuntu Desktop (https://ubuntu.com/download/raspberry-pi)

Seems to give the fullest 100% 64bit support out of the box so far! The only problem with Ubuntu Desktop is its Default Desktop is very HEAVEY. On the up side once you have all the developer tools installed Amiberry compiles correctly and runs perfectly in Fullscreen from boot! So I am going to stick with this and get my Virtual Amiga fully setup - I can always move to another base OS later. The reason I was holding back on using this was my secondary Emulation I wanted was old MacOS8 but I had trouble with BasiliskII in the full 64bit environment - solved that last night so its full steam ahead!

I was always an Amibian user on my old PiB etc But I want to take advantage of the advances in Amiberry (Like AmiKit on Windows or Mac - Rabbithole) and get that "AmiHybrid" type feel that Mr Jones is talking about! (Side note the 1.5 build would have to setup on a Pi4 - updated and moved across to the Pi 400).

I know both Amiberry & AmiKit are working on this - will be interesting to see what comes out in the end.

AmiKit (https://www.amikit.amiga.sk)
Amiberry (https://blitterstudio.com/amiberry/)

I am using an Amiga hard file image I built some time ago as a test for my NinjaKat (Pi3B based bar top) as my base to work from. So far so good!

« Last Edit: December 15, 2020, 10:03:30 am by intangybles »
S.I.G
A1200 - 8M & CF HDD, Vampire V4 - SA & Checkmate A1500 Mini (MiSTiX) - OS 3.1.4 (MiSTer Powered)
Amithlon Laptop, NinjaKat Bar-top Games console & NABU PC with Pi server

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Captain Scarlet
  • awards BlitzWays - Winning Score: 30022 Alien Breed 3D - Win due to most progression! James Pond 2 (Codename RoboCod) - Winning Score: 102900 Do! Run Run - Winning Score: 17140 Zool: Ninja of the "Nth" Dimension (AGA) - Winning Score: 66970 Fire & Ice - Winning Score: 18300 Dune - Winning Review!
    • Awards
Re: Raspberry PI 400! My Mini Amiga Project - Base Image
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2020, 02:36:47 pm »
Tiny update... Ran so short on time!

I settled on "Ubuntu Mate" in the end as a base! All good so far - lower GUI overhead and full 64bit!

Hope to complete my config over XMas.. Lets see if AmiKit beat me to it!  ;)

S.I.G
A1200 - 8M & CF HDD, Vampire V4 - SA & Checkmate A1500 Mini (MiSTiX) - OS 3.1.4 (MiSTer Powered)

Offline Heywood

• Adam Booth
  • Jr. Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 4
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 03:29:34 pm »
Hey - have you tried out PiMiga? It's someone take on getting the Raspberry Pi400 with a small distro to get straight into Amiberry in a short amount of time.  I've been playing with it on and off (still prefer real metal) and slapped together a PCB that plugs into the Pi400s GPIO port and has some DB9 connectors that with the right drivers lets you use Megadrive controllers to play games.

I'm guessing is its directly on the GPIO the latency compared to USB should be pretty good.

Details on the PCB and the PiMiga installation process are on github at https://github.com/thinghacker/RaspberryPi400-GPIO-DB9 - its based on a design used in retropie so can be repurposed to other gaming emulations too.

Offline quantum8

• Jacob
  • Full Supporter
  • Retro Credit: 12
  • awards The Chaos Engine - Winning Score: 2085 Ruff 'n' Tumble - Winning Score: 71100 Bobble  Puzzle - Winning Score: 4 Exile - Winning Score: 2092 Cannon Fodder: Amiga Format Christmas Special - Winning Review Tiger Claw - Winning Score: 7335 Super Skidmarks - Winning Lap: 1:03.3 Simon the Sorcerer - Winning Review! Smarty and the Nasty Gluttons - Winning Score: 37380 Deluxe Galaga - Winning Score: 674935
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2020, 09:16:50 am »
If you quit out of amiberry in pimiga you should be able to compress the entire amiga folders and send to external storage, wipe the partitions and install a 64 bit distro before putting all the pimiga stuff back on there for that speed gain.

It's a little bit of work but should be doable.

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Captain Scarlet
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 08:47:11 am »
Just a quick note, looking to build a 100% licensed option on a stable 64bit base.
S.I.G

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Captain Scarlet
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 03:31:16 pm »
Hey - have you tried out PiMiga? It's someone take on getting the Raspberry Pi400 with a small distro to get straight into Amiberry in a short amount of time.  I've been playing with it on and off (still prefer real metal) and slapped together a PCB that plugs into the Pi400s GPIO port and has some DB9 connectors that with the right drivers lets you use Megadrive controllers to play games.

I'm guessing is its directly on the GPIO the latency compared to USB should be pretty good.

Details on the PCB and the PiMiga installation process are on github at https://github.com/thinghacker/RaspberryPi400-GPIO-DB9 - its based on a design used in retropie so can be repurposed to other gaming emulations too.

Looks very cool little board - clever! Don't know that I would go to that extent just presently, its the Desktop experience I am after on the Pi400, I have my joystick gaming pretty well covered on my NinjaKat!
S.I.G

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Captain Scarlet
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2020, 03:33:54 pm »
Update time! So no spare time over Christmas but i'm happy with my Ubuntu Mate build on the Pi400 with Amiberry and my AmiKit port! My CrowPi2 has arrived - my first "Pi4" - so I note that Manjaro have updated again so going to give that a go on the CrowPi2 and will also see how the final SD-Card runs on the Pi400!
S.I.G

Offline intangybles

• Mark Casteleijn
  • Hero Supporter
  • Captain Scarlet
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2021, 02:09:12 pm »

Anyone running PiMiga 2.0 on the Pi400?
S.I.G

Recent Topics